This may be of interest to nobody, but here is my process for getting the audio of the game, from start to finish, including links to the necessary programs.
I am certainly a newb at this; so any suggestions are welcome. Nevertheless, I thought it might be useful for someone who’s thinking about getting into the podcast game to see what the entire flow can look like.
- Put iPad using the free Voice Recorder app as close to middle of table as possible
- Ensure app is recording in .aiff
- Record session, pausing and resuming as necessary
- Transfer to PC
- Dump .aiff file into Levelator
- Bring into Audacity (making sure the LAME mp3 encoder is installed)
- Export as mp3, indicating that it’s the raw (unedited) file
- Upload to Dropbox
- During the week, listen to mp3 on phone using the Dropbox app’s audio player
- While listening, if I hear something that needs to be edited out, take a screenshot on phone of the audio player application, making sure the timestamp is visible
- When the edit should conclude, screenshot again.
- Now I’ll have pairs of screenshots on my phone, each telling me when to stop and start an edit
- Highlight those sections in Audacity, delete.
- Export as final mp3 file, putting in ID3 tags when Audacity prompts
- Upload to Soundcloud for hosting
- Tag, insert shownotes while upload is going on
- When upload and processing are finished, share on blog, G+, etc.
- Soundcloud has easy options for getting your shows put into an RSS feed properly for iTunes, etc.