Our discussion & review of Deep Carbon Observatory, text by Patrick Stuart and art by Scrap Princess. MAJOR SPOILERS.
tl;dl: it’s a work of superlative imagination. It refreshes the underdark and specifically the drow, and contains some structural/mechanical experiments you can lift for other purposes. It’s a no brainer purchase. However, needs a second edition that focuses on the “presentation layer”—how the ideas are to be communicated to the players, both in the maps and in the room contents.
We leave you with links and Trump memes relevant to the module.
- Gus L’s maps: http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2014/07/deep-carbon-observatory-maps.html
- Courtney Campbell on how to write up a game area with presentation/user-interface in mind: http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2012/06/on-set-design.html
- Buy the module (affiliate link): http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/131801/Deep-Carbon-Observatory?affiliate_id=433586
- The author’s site: http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/
- Check out the artist’s site: http://monstermanualsewnfrompants.blogspot.com/
- Get that deep carbon swag: https://www.redbubble.com/people/scrapprincess/works/13775543-inversion-deep-carbon-observatory?p=t-shirt
“Lewis and Dekalb” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
Soundcloud player background image by Scrap Princess, from the module.